It was a rainy, gloomy day today which meant that there was nothing holding me back from holing myself up in the kitchen and creating these babies:
That’s right…you heard me the first time – chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes.
Does it really get any better than that??
This was inspired by My Baking Addiction‘s version of these, but I wanted to take it one step further and make the cake from scratch.
To do so, I used Joy of Baking’s chocolate cupcake recipe
Preheat oven to 350° and line cupcake pan with liners (or spray with cooking spray)
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot water
- 1 1/3 cups (175 grams) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl stir until smooth the boiling hot water and the cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Then in the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- From there pour the batter using an ice cream scoop into lined baking sheets and drop 1 tsp. raw cookie dough balls into the center of each cupcake, using a spoon (or your finger!) to cover each dough ball completely with batter.
- Put cupcakes into a preheated oven and bake from 25-35 minutes (depending on your oven) pulling them out when a toothpick comes out clean
For the frosting I turned back to My Baking Addiction and used this recipe:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 1 to 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
Once the cupcakes cooled completely I frosted them then decorated with mini chocolate chips and mini cookies.